If you can’t send or receive emails in the Mail app on your iOS device, learn what to do.
- Make sure that your device can connect to the Internet
To see if your device has a cellular-data or Wi-Fi Internet connection, go to Safari and open a webpage, like www.apple.com.
Check the Outbox for unsent emails
If you see a message that says your email wasn’t sent, then that email goes to your Outbox. Check your Outbox and try to send the email again:
- In Mail, tap Mailboxes in the upper-left corner.
- Tap Outbox. If you don’t see an Outbox, then your email was sent.
- Tap an email in the Outbox. Make sure that the recipient’s email address is correct.
- Tap Send.
- Check your email address and password
If Mail asks you to enter a password for your email account, make sure that your password is correct. To check your email address and password, sign in to your email provider’s website.
If you still get a username or password error, contact your email provider or system administrator.
- Check your settings
When you set up your email account on your device, iOS automatically uses the correct account settings for many email providers.
To make sure that your account settings are correct, compare the settings in the Mail app to the settings for your email account:
- Go to Settings > Passwords & Accounts and tap your email account.
- Tap your email address next to Account to see the account information, such as the incoming and outgoing mail servers.
- Check the recommended settings for your email account in the Mail Settings Lookup tool and make sure that they’re the same as what you see on your screen. If you don’t see the settings for your email account, contact your email provider or system administrator.
- Remove your email account and set it up again
On your computer, sign in to your email provider’s website. Make sure that all of your email is there or make sure that your email is saved somewhere other than your iOS device.
- On your iOS device, go to Settings > Passwords & Accounts.
- Tap the email account that you want to remove.
- Tap Delete Account.
- Add your account again.