Part one: How to turn off data roaming to avoid roaming charges?
Need to avoid roaming charges because you arrived at your destination without an international data plan? Follow the steps to turn off cellular data and data roaming:
- Open Settings and tap Cellular, or Cellular Data, or Mobile Data
- Turn off Cellular Data, then tap Cellular Data Options and turn off Data Roaming
Part two: How to turn on data roaming for your trip?
Here are three ways to prepare:
- Shop roaming plans with your carrier
- Before you go: To avoid fees and higher rates, call your carrier or visit online to shop international roaming plans.
- After arrival: Open Settings. Tap Cellular, or Cellular Data, or Mobile Data. Then tap Cellular Data Options and turn on Data Roaming and other settings suggested by your carrier.
- Shop roaming plans with Apple SIM
- Before you go: If you have an iPad with an Apple SIM, you can browse cellular data plans from select carriers in more than 90 countries, regions, and territories.
- After arrival: Go to Settings > Cellular Data and buy a roaming plan that fits your needs.
- Buy or rent local SIM cards
- Before you go: You can usually3 buy or rent a SIM card for a specific country or region. Learn more from travel guides and websites related to the country or region.
- After arrival: Replace your current SIM card with the new one. You’ll need the original when you return home, so put your original in a safe place.
Get help when you have roaming issues during international travel
- Turn on Airplane Mode for about 30 seconds. Then turn it off again and let your iPhone automatically select the best network.
- If you see No Service in the status bar of your iPhone, open Settings and tap Cellular, or Cellular Data, or Mobile Data. Tap Cellular Data Options and make sure that Data Roaming is on. Then, to check that international roaming is turned on for your account, contact your carrier.
- If the date and time are wrong after you arrive, go to Settings > General > Date & Time. Make sure that Set Automatically is turned on.