Hello, I bought a new SIM card from Verizon which has been activated and it has full bars and LTE. But when I try to open safari it says “Could not activate mobile data network”. I have an iPhone X with iOS 12. What’s the problem?
If you see No Service or Searching on your iPhone or iPad, or can’t connect to a cellular network or cellular data, follow these steps:
- Restart your iPhone or iPad
- Check your coverage area
Make sure that you’re in an area with cellular network coverage. Then follow these steps:
- To turn cellular data on or off, go to Settings, then tap Cellular or Mobile Data. If you’re using your iPad, you might see Settings > Cellular Data.
- If you’re traveling internationally, make sure that your device is set up for data roaming. Go to Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options > Data Roaming.
- Check for a Carrier Settings update
To manually check for and install a carrier settings update:
- Make sure that your device is connected to a Wi-Fi or cellular network.
Tap Settings > General > About. If an update is available, you’ll see an option to update your carrier settings.
- To see the version of carrier settings on your device, tap Settings > General > About and look next to Carrier.
If you insert a new SIM card into your iPhone or iPad, you need to download the carrier settings for your new carrier.
- Take out the SIM card and put it back in
If the SIM card is damaged, or doesn’t fit in the SIM tray, contact your carrier.
- Reset your Network Settings
Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, and VPN and APN settings that you’ve used before.
- Update your iPhone or iPad
Note: You’d better back your important data up in case of data loss. Click here to learn how to selectively back up data.
- Contact your carrier
Issues with your carrier or account might affect your service. Contact your carrier to:
- Verify that your account is active and in good standing.
- Make sure there are no outages in your area.
- Check that your device isn’t blocked from receiving cellular services and is set up with the right data plan.
- Only your wireless carrier can access and manage details about your account. If you need help finding your wireless carrier’s service page, use the Apple carrier-support article or an online search engine.
- Get more help
If your carrier confirms that there’s no issue with your account or network, but you still can’t connect to a cellular network, contact Apple Support.