What CarPlay does?
- CarPlay takes the things that you want to do with your iPhone while driving and puts them on your car’s built-in display. When you connect your iPhone to CarPlay, you can get turn-by-turn directions, make calls, send and receive messages, listen to music, and more. CarPlay uses the contacts on your iPhone to help you make calls, send texts, and find destinations.
- CarPlay uses Siri Voice Control, so you can ask for what you want while you’re driving, allowing you to stay focused on the road. CarPlay even works with the built-in controls in your car like a touchscreen, knob, or button.
How to set up CarPlay?
Follow these steps to get started:
- Make sure that you’re in an area that supports CarPlay and that your car supports CarPlay.
- Start your car, then make sure that Siri is on.
- Connect your iPhone to your car:
- If your car supports CarPlay via USB cable, plug your iPhone into the USB port in your car. The USB port might be labeled with a CarPlay icon or a smartphone icon.
- If your car supports wireless CarPlay, press and hold the voice-command button on your steering wheel. Make sure that your stereo is in wireless or Bluetooth mode. Then on your iPhone, go to Settings > General > CarPlay, tap Available cars, then select your car. Check your car manual for more information.
What if CarPlay doesn’t work like you expect?
- Make sure that your iPhone has the latest version of iOS.
- If CarPlay doesn’t activate automatically, look for the CarPlay logo on your car’s display.
- Restart your iPhone and your car.
- Make sure that Siri is on.
- If your iPhone isn’t detected by CarPlay, make sure that CarPlay isn’t restricted. Go to Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions, tap Allowed Apps and make sure that CarPlay is enabled.
- Go to Settings > General > CarPlay, and tap Forget This Car.
- Check your connection:
- If you have a wired connection, try connecting again with a different USB cable to a different USB port if you have one.
- If you have a wireless connection, enable AirPlane mode by going to Settings > Airplane Mode. Don’t enable Airplane Mode from Control Center.
- If needed, install firmware updates. Check your car’s manual for more information.
- If you still have issues connecting to CarPlay, contact Apple Support.