“I just updated to the most recent version of iOS on my iPhone. After the update, I did not have purchase ringtones any longer. How do I recover those? Also, foolishly I did not backup my phone just before update. Thanks. iPhone 5, iOS 8.2”
The above was extracted from Apple community and obviously, this user lost some ringtones after update his iPhone 5 to iOS 8.2. What is unfortunate is that he did not backup his iPhone before update. But the good news is that the ringtones he lost were purchased from iTunes Store in that case, there are still hopes to recover those lost ringtones. Here, I want to show you two methods about recovering lost ringtones after update to iOS 8.2.
Method 1: Recover lost ringtones from iTunes backup
Generally speaking, most people will backup their iPhone or iPad before update to iOS 8.2. Hence, the simplest way to recover lost ringtones is via iTunes. Please make sure you have installed the latest version of iTunes. Then follow the below steps:
- Connect your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your computer.
- Locate your device.
- Under Settings, click Tones.
- Make sure that the box next to Sync Tones is checked.
- Click Sync to sync your tones back to your device.
Method 2: Restore lost ringtones from iTunes Store
This method is suitable for this user. If you purchased your tones on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch and never synced them to your computer, you can restore your tones directly to your device from the iTunes Store using the steps below.
- Open Safari on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
- Go to itunes.com/restore-tones.
- Sign in with your Apple ID.
- Tap Restore. You’ll see a message that reads: “This may take a while. You can continue to use this device while we prepare your tones. You will be sent a push notification when they are ready to download.”
- Tap Done.
- When you receive the notification on your device, tap Download, or, if you receive the notification on your lock screen, swipe to download.* All of your tones will download, including any that are explicit.
- Check to make sure that your tones are now on your device:
Ringtones: Tap Settings > Sounds > Ringtone.
Alert tones: Tap Settings > Sounds > Text Tone (or any other alert listed).
If you assigned purchased tones to your contacts, these will also be restored.
Notes: If your device already contains previously purchased tones that you synced or restored to your device from iTunes on your Mac or PC, turn off Sync Tones in iTunes before completing the steps below. Otherwise, you might download duplicate tones to your device.