All of the sudden today my iPhone 8 has no sound when making or receiving calls. I can’t hear anything and the caller on the other end can’t hear anything I say. The phone automatically turns on the speaker phone, but I can’t hear anything through the speaker either. Has anyone else had this issue and been able to resolve it?
It seems that many iOS users have encountered the problem that can’t hear or talk when making calls. If this happens only with certain calls or in some locations, contact your carrier for assistance. If it happens with all callers and in every location, look at the tips below.
Tip one: Test the microphones on your device
To test the primary microphone on the bottom of your iPhone, open Voice Memos and tap the record icon. Then speak into the microphone and tap the play icon to play back the recording. You should be able to hear your voice clearly. If you hear the voice memo and it sounds normal, there might be an issue with your carrier network or voicemail system. Contact your carrier for more information.
Tip two: If you still can’t listen or talk when making calls, try these steps:
- Turn up the volume and avoid blocking the microphone and with your fingers while holding the device or recording video
- Make sure that you don’t have anything plugged into the headphone jack or the dock connector. At the same time, you should turn off Bluetooth
- Make sure that your iPhone is using the most recent iOS version
- Clear any debris from the microphones or iPhone receiver if it’s blocked or dirty. Just clean the receiver opening with a clean, soft-bristled brush
- Restart your device
- Remove screen protectors, films, or cases that cover the microphone, iSight mic, or iPhone receiver
- Back your important data up and restore your device to factory settings
If none of them helps you and you still unable to hear or speak on the phone, it’s necessary to make an appointment at the Genius Bar to have your phone evaluated.
Now that we mentioned data backup, I would like to recommend iFonebox to you. It can help you selectively back your needed data up as opposed to backing up the entire device. It’s also a professional and handy iOS data recovery tool and backup extractor. You can download the program from our official website or here.
Step one: Launch iFonebox
Connect your iPhone to the computer, in this interface, you’ll see “Next” in blue area, click it to continue. It’s necessary to enable the flight mode and keep the USB cable connected stable during the progress.
Step two: Scan data
Take notes for example, it will scan automatically after you click the “Notes” icon, the duration depends on the amount of your data so it might take your some time, please wait patiently.
Step three: Back data up
After the scan completes, a list of notes will show up on your program interface. Now you can choose the items you want to back up and click the “Recover to pc”.